Support> >

I paid through JUMBOpay and I want to cancel the transaction How can I do this?

Payment cancellation requests can be filed for downloading files from the JUMBOpay account status page or the contact page on the site. If the funds have already been transferred to the file seller, any complaint or request for reimbursement should be directed to the file seller directly.

Thank you for your feedback Was this helpful? Yes No

More questions

Show More
We use cookies on our website to enhance your browsing experience.
To understand more about how we use cookies, please see our privacy policy. If you continue to use our website, you are agreeing to such usage of cookies.
x Close